This collection studies the gestation of the crisis of the left turn consensus dominant in Argentina and Brazil for the past 15 years and the emerging socio-political dynamics developing in this particular context of change. The volume identifies the traditional and emerging actors which have been influential in the socio-political arena for the past six to ten years. It also traces major episodes of protests between 2011-2015 in Brazil and Argentina.
1. Changing Socio-Political Dynamics within the Crisis of the Left Turn in Argentina and Brazil, Juan Pablo Ferrero, Ana Natalucci and Luciana Tatagiba
2. Crossroads of Brazilian Democracy. Dynamics of Social Mobilization During Left Turn Circle, Luciana Tatagiba
3. Social Mobilisation and Politics in Argentina: Peak and Crisis of the Left Turn, Ana Natalucci
Part II: New Socio-Political Dynamics: Case Studies
4. Between Streets and the Facebook: Engaged Action in the Pro-Impeachment Campaign in Brazil (2014-2016), Débora Zanini & Luciana Tatagiba
5. Tracing the Left Turn Crisis through Argentine Protests: The Anti-Kirchnerist Cycle of Mobilisation (2012–2013), Tomás Gold
6. Labour Conflicts and Union Strategies in Dilma Roussef’s Governments, Andréia Galvão
7. “Worlds of Work” During Last Kirchnerism The Cases of the CGT and the CTEP (2011–2015), María Belén Morris
8. “Occupy and Resist”: The Autonomist Imaginary in the New Youth Activism in Brazil, Antonia Campos and Ana Cláudia Teixeira
9. The Revitalisation of Youth Engagement in Argentina's Left Turn, Lucía Carnelli and Josefina Furfaro
10. Recent Changes in the Brazilian Feminist Movement: The Emergence of New Collective Actors, Jonas Medeiros and Fabiola Fanti
11. What About Women During the Left Turn? The Case of #NiUnaMenos in Argentina, Julieta Rey
12. Final Remarks: Disputing Democracy Again, Juan Pablo Ferrero and Ana Natalucci
Luciana Tatagiba is Associate Professor of Political Science at the University of Campinas in São Paulo, Brazil.
Ana Natalucci is Associate Researcher in the Sociology and Demography Department at the Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Científicas y Técnicas of Argentina (CONICET).