Commissioning Editor Vacancy
Rowman and Littlefield International is looking to appoint a Commissioning Editor to take on the challenge of growing their Continental Philosophy list.
Your role will be to maintain and develop this exciting list – engaging in proactive commissioning as well as building and growing relationships with existing authors, series editors and partners. You will need to be versed in title management and able to contribute to the development of company strategy, liaising closely with the USA office and our global sales and marketing team. You should be comfortable with campus calling and conference attendance. You will have a sound background in forward programme planning, negotiating and preparing contracts and budget management.
You will be able to demonstrate initiative and the ability to apply sound commercial awareness and judgement. The ideal candidate will be experienced working as a commissioning editor within academic publishing with a keen and thorough understanding and appreciation of the continental philosophy book market.
The successful candidate will be:
- Highly articulate, commercially aware and numerate
- Strong negotiation, presentation and communication skills
- Creative and full of ideas, with the determination to see them through
- Flexible and open-minded
- Enthusiastic and outgoing
- Comfortable picking up new systems and adept at basic IT
- A strong interest in philosophy and the humanities in general
- A good network of relevant authors and other contacts
- The vision and confidence to shape the direction and development of a list
- Excellent market knowledge and a keen sense of emerging trends
This is a pivotal role in a small team in an independent publisher based in Vauxhall and with offices in the USA. The role will involve domestic and international travel.
To apply, please send a covering letter and a CV to the Publisher, Gurdeep Mattu, [email protected]
Closing Date Friday 19th October: early applications may be prioritised.